This week saw major progress on 3 fronts, and a setback on another.
The setback, of course, is that our water heater sprung a leak. As far as I can tell, it was installed in 1996. That makes it 16 years old, which is absolutely ancient for a water heater. Considering it probably had a 10-year warranty at most, we knew when we moved in that we should expect it to die at some point. I suspect it’s the vibration and general disturbance of the remodel that pushed it over the edge. Though we’re not happy about the added expense right now, there are worse times to have to replace a water heater than when a plumber is already working in the house. We seriously considered replacing it with a tankless, on-demand water heater. But in the end, the added expense (more than 3x the cost) and complexity (we would not have hot water again until Wednesday or Thursday) convinced us that it’s not in the cards right now.
The first area of major progress this week is that two of the three new windows have been installed. The one on the north wall (over the main sink) is almost the same size as the old one — a couple inches taller, and mounted a couple inches higher as well. The one on the west wall (over the prep area) is the same width as the old window there, but much shorter to fit over the counter; it’s also a casement window rather than double-hung. And of course, these are modern windows, installed to modern standards, and will be much more energy efficeint than the old ones. The third window — where the old back door used to be — is somewhat framed in, but there’s some repair work needed due to water damage around the old door. I am optimistic that framing may be finished next week or early the following.
The second area of major progress this week is electrical rough-in. The electricians were here four days this week, and also have only a few tasks to finish up. One minor piece of progress is that the in-ceiling speakers in the kitchen are roughed in. My excitement over this is way out of proportion to how important it is.
I spent a couple hours fishing “my” end of the speaker cables to the distribution point in the basement and hooking things up there, which involved taking apart & moving the Barrister bookcase in the dining room.
The third and final piece of progress this week is that we have a contract for the sunroom part of the project!!! Work can start on that when we get a building permit and when our project manager / main carpenter has some free time. Expected completion of the whole project is still late June / early July.